Many area children rely on free or reduced cost meals at school for their breakfast and lunch. For those children, weekends are often filled with hunger as their families struggle to provide meals for them. United Hebrew has partnered with Hanna Woods Elementary School in the Parkway School District to help provide meals for 13 families, 36 children in all. Thank you to everyone who has donated food and their time to this special project.
How YOU can help:
- Volunteer to help assemble the backpacks each week.
- Deliver the backpacks to Hanna Woods Elementary School.
- Pick up empty backpacks on Monday and bring back to UH.
- Donate money or gift cards to allow UH to purchase food for the backpacks.
- Donate food items such as the ones listed below. All items should be non-perishable, easy to open that are ready to eat so there is no “cooking” involved.
- 100% juice
- non-refrigerated milk/chocolate milk boxes
- Oatmeal (box with individual packages)
- Single serve boxes of cereal
- Peanut butter and jelly in non-glass containers
- Canned soups and chili and pasta with meat
- Canned vegetables
- Apple sauce and fruit cups
- Individual bags of goldfish, pretzels or other snack items
- Pudding cups
- Granola bars
- Fruit snacks
- Chicken and tuna kits or pouches
- Pasta with meat
Please bring donations to UH and put in one of the large red bins in the chapel lobby. Please contact Cori Neidenberg with your questions at 314-434-3404.
GreenFaith Certification Program
As Jews, we have a responsibility to protect and preserve the Earth. During the celebration year of 175 years of congregational life, we initiated a focus on the environment to insure a sustainable future for our congregation and future generations to come. Working with our members and community, we will educate ourselves to become more environmentally aware, which in turn, we hope, will improve our efficiency and choices.
Since we have started the GreenFaith certification program in 2012, we have made progress in the areas of auditing our building leading to a re-envisioning our stewardship from energy use to supply purchases to food served at events. We have implemented more eco themes in our services, adding numerous outdoor services, and have hosted several speakers. We are excited to continue our work and look forward to sustaining the future with our work today.